Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cold Weather

Being in Montana in February, cold weather is expected. And it gets cold. I'm apparently in a downright balmy area of Montana right now, as I've heard accounts of -30, even down to -40 degrees. We're sitting at a tropical 7 degrees (give or take). That's still cold. Yesterday was chilling in the negatives, and I've gone through -30 (that's with the wind chill, mind you). I'm not a big fan of cold weather. It makes it difficult to do things, like walk, and breathe, and just kinda... be. You don't want to go outside, you don't want to walk anywhere, you just want to stay where it's warm. Unfortunately, that's not really an option. As nice as it sounds to just chill at home, drinking hot cocoa and staying warm, we must strike out and work. We still gotta pound the pavement (as snow covered as it may be) and knock those doors. Luckily, I am blessed (at least until Friday) to have a car. I feel for Elders out there right now in carshares that don't have the car right now. (I'm also quite lucky that the weather forecast is saying by Friday it'll be in the 40s. Yay!)
Yeah, the cold is no fun. But, it makes the warm that much better. Even 40 degrees sounds like paradise after single digits. I recall, back in December, me and Elder Matthews were out doing work, and we got out of the car and thought "man, it is so nice out here! I wish we could take our jackets off." Shortly after, we drove past a bank that had a big display for time and temperature. 32 degrees. It was literally freezing, but with no wind and the sun out, it felt so nice. If you would have told me it was in the 60s I would have believed you. It's crazy what comparison can do.
The same can be said about our lives. Sometimes, we go through rough patches. Sometimes, they're very rough. We can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, and we can't fathom how we're possibly going to pull through. But we have to persevere. We have to make the best of what we've got, cause once we get through those trials, we'll get back to the good times, and how great are those times going to be, compared to the hard times we just went through!
"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men." (2 Nephi 31:20). When all hope seems lost, know that it's not. There is always hope that can be found in our Lord. Turn to Him; through prayer, scripture study, and faithful living, you can be strengthened and make it through those times of difficulty. All hope is never lost! "Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." (Romans 15:13). Never fear, the Lord is near, and he is simply waiting for you to ask for help. Through him, all of your trials will be made simpler. "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matt 11:29, 30).
The Lord loves you and wants to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment