Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Prophet of the Restoration

I was going to post a video of Joseph Smith's story, and how he was called to restore the Gospel, and be the Prophet of this dispensation, but it wasn't working, so I'd just like to bear my testimony on the Restoration:
It seems hard to accept, at first, hearing the story of a young boy praying in a grove of trees, and being visited by God the Father, and his Son Jesus Christ, especially when you're pretty convinced there is no God. But, through reading, pondering, and praying, I found out that that really did happen. When Joseph Smith was just a boy, he was confused by the war of religions going on around him. He saw how many different sects there were, and was confused by that. He wondered which of these churches was true. There had to be one true church, because as it says in Ephesians 4:5 "One Lord, one faith, one baptism", and he wanted to be part of that one. After talking with the local ministers and weighing everything, he was leaning towards the Methodists, but every time he came close to choosing one, another minister would come and convince him otherwise. Finally, one night, while reading the scriptures, he came across James 1:5 which reads "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." He took the advice laid out in that scripture, and approached his Heavenly Father in earnest prayer, seeking truth and knowledge. And truth and knowledge he got. He was visited by Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, and they told him, in answer to his question, that none of the churches were true; that they drew near to Him with their mouths, but there hearts were far from Him. He was then informed that he would be responsible for restoring the fullness of the gospel, and ushering in the Dispensation of the Fullness of Times, the final dispensation before the Second Coming.
I know this is true. I am sure of it. I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Joseph Smith is a Prophet, Seer, and Revelator, the Prophet of this Dispensation. I know that through his work, and through the Power of God, we have the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ, which is divine and inspired writings that testify of Christ as our Savior and Redeemer. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Christ's church, the one true Church on the earth today, and that Jesus Christ is the head of it. I know we are guided and led by Prophets and Apostles who are called of God and receive revelation from God to help us in these trying times. I am so thankful for these men, for Joseph Smith, and am eternally grateful for the Savior, Jesus Christ, and for his Atoning sacrifice. I am thankful for my testimony, and my knowledge of the truthfulness of this Gospel. We are in the Latter-days, the last days as prophesied by prophets of old, and the fact that we have a prophet, just as in biblical times, is so reassuring, and has blessed my life immensely. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet, and that Christ's church has been restored again to the earth, by him.

No comments:

Post a Comment