Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Autobiography

So, I'm completely stealing this idea from another missionary. Elder Garcia did this a couple weeks ago (or so) and I liked the idea. I feel like it would be helpful for the people reading my blog to know who I am, so they can feel more of a personal connection to what I write in my blog.
I guess I'll start with the basics: My name is Gideon Holbrook, though for the past 10 months, and next 14 months, it's Elder Holbrook (which never gets old). I have been called to serve in the Montana Billings Mission, and while here have served in Lewistown and Three Forks, and am currently in Bozeman. I love it. I am a convert to the church, I joined when I was 18 (over 2 years ago now). I'm the only one in the family. I'm from Fort Collins, Colorado, but I spent a few years in my younger age in Attleboro, Massachusetts. I love Massachusetts and plan on making Boston my home. I come from a family of 5. My mom, 2 sisters, and a brother. My dad passed away when I was 12. I'm the youngest sibling. My oldest sister lives in Wellington, CO with her husband and baby, my brother lives in Alabama and works for the Columbus, Georgia Fire Department, where he is a paramedic firefighter (and a hero), and my other sister lives in Fort Collins.
My main interests are pretty standard: Music, movies, comic books... I'm kind of a nerd (as seen here), and am ok with that (that sounds familiar...). I've been playing the bass for about 10 years, and the guitar for about 4. I was in bands all throughout junior high and high school, and one band post high school. They were all ska bands... For those who don't know what ska is (and don't feel bad, not many do), it's pretty much sped up reggae mixed with punk, with horns added in for flavor (trumpet, sax, trombone). It's amazing! I played bass in all of them. Playing a show is one of the coolest experiences ever, and I'm greatly looking forward to going back and experiencing it again. I love reading. I'm a pretty big literary buff. I've read a lot of books, and intend on reading quite a few more. I love comic books, which fall under literature, but have fun pictures. I've worked at 3 different movie theaters for a combined total of over 4 years, and am a big movie guy. I know a lot about movies, and actors... and pretty much just pop culture in general. It's fun stuff. As for sports, I pretty much only follow soccer: MLS and EPL. Go Rapids! Go Chelsea!
I am so incredibly grateful for the wonderful gift of the gospel in my life. I've made a pretty big change joining the church, but I don't regret it at all. It's given me a new perspective, and given me drive and purpose I'd never had before. Serving a mission was a tough decision, but the right one. I have learned so much already, and am so glad I'm here. I love every second of it. It's helping me become a better person, and improve on areas that I definitely need some help on. I can't wait to see what the future holds for me! I know this Church is true, I know that Jesus is our Christ and Savior, that He died for us, and rose again, conquering death, and the He lives. I know that Joseph Smith was a Prophet, and the he restored the gospel and Christ's Church. I know that he translated the Book of Mormon, and that it is true scriptures, words of God as written by His prophets.

No comments:

Post a Comment