Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Missionaries

So, another transfer is drawing to a near. Week 6 is upon us, and transfers are in sight. It's always an exciting time for missionaries, wondering what's going to happen, if you're leaving, if your companion is leaving, where you're going, who you're going to be with... Friday of week 6, you just stare at that phone all morning waiting... and waiting... and waiting...
But for some, it's not up in the air. For some, they know exactly what they're fate is: drive into the mission home, spend a couple days there, then board their plane home. They've fulfilled their twenty-four or eighteen months, and now they get to go rejoin the world. I've been around several missionaries who were in their last transfer. Pretty much every transfer, except my first, I was in pretty close contact with someone who could see the end in sight. It's always interesting to see how each individual person takes it, but I've been happy to see the ones I've been around not be effected by it, and still working hard to the very end. I have pretty close ties with the group going home in, now, just over a week. My trainer is one of the homebound, and I'll be sad to see him go. He taught me so much and really helped me know who I want to be, and what kind of missionary I want to be. He showed me the ropes, and got me ready to work hard for 2 years. I've been spoiled the last 3 transfers that, if I wanted to, I could call him everyday (though I haven't taken advantage of that). But now, he'll be home. Sure, I can write him and keep in contact, but just knowing that my trainer isn't in the field with me anymore is kind of a bummer. I'll miss him, and will be happy to see him again, post-mission. A few missionaries I got to be pretty good friends with have already taken that leap and are back home already. I've made so many friends, from all over the country (well, not all over... Pretty much Utah, California, and Arizona), and I definitely plan on meeting up with them once again.
All the missionaries I've met so far have been great. They work hard, they care about what they're doing, and their testimonies are rock solid. I've learned a lot from so many of them, and am definitely the missionary I am from serving around such great people. Each have their individual strengths, their own way of doing things, and their unique flair, and it definitely makes for very interesting companionships. I'm so grateful for all my leaders, District Leaders, Zone Leaders, and Assistants, for the great dedication and work they do. I am who I am because of their example. I'm so glad to be serving a mission. I cherish every moment, and wouldn't trade this experience for the world. I send my love and appreciation to those who are finishing, my support and encouragement for them about to come in, and thank the Lord I still have 14 months of this amazing work!

2 comments:

  1. Continue to cherish each and every moment. The time truly does just fly by and it never seems to slow. This time is so precious and wonderful. All in the service of our dear Lord and Savior. I'm glad to be a missionary :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother in law knew a sister missionary on his mission who was out tracting the day she was supposed to leave. They had to send ppl out to try and find her. Now that's dedication...

    ReplyDelete